Saturday, November 7, 2009

Economists and Chaos

So I just wrapped up my reading of Ronald Reagan: How an Ordinary Man Became an Extraordinary Leader by Dinesh D'Souza. All in all I rather enjoyed it and learned quite a bit. I'll leave you with one last excerpt that concurs with my thoughts on economists.

The president took an equally jocular attitude to the criticism unleashed against his policies by the nation's leading economists. He was reminded, he said, of the three gentlemen who had just died and were standing at the gates of heaven to be admitted. One was a surgeon, the other an engineer, and the third an economist. They had all fulfilled the entrance requirements, but it developed that there was room for only one at that time. So St. Peter said, "I'll tell you what. I'll pick the one who comes from the oldest profession." The surgeon stepped forward and said, "I'm your man. Right after God created Adam, he operated. He took a rib and created Eve. So surgery has to be the oldest profession." The engineer said, "No. You see, before God created Adam and Eve, he took the chaos that prevailed and built the earth in six days. So engineering had to precede surgery." The economist finally spoke up and said, "Just a minute. Who do you think created all that chaos?"

For related posts, readers are encouraged to check out:

1 comment:

Penny Stock Investing said...

I believe that many of Ronald Reagans ideas like trickled down economics have failed. What we have had the last thirty years is trickle up economics that is all the income has gone from the poor and middle class to the super rich.